In between meetings I ran to Starbucks to get a small skinny iced vanilla latte. I needed a little pick me up!
I've started a new running routine and ran/walked two miles this morning. I think that's why I was STARVING when I got home. I have been craving a bean burrito so that's what I made tonight.
I got the recipe HERE. It was really good!
Spicy Bean Burritos
source: adapted from Cooking Light
For the bean filling:
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp minced pickled jalapeños
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup wate
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Juice of one lime
- 6 10-inch flour tortillas (burrito size), warmed in microwave for 10-15 seconds between 2 damp paper towels - I used whole wheat tortillas
- Shredded cheese (cheddar, pepper jack, monterey jack, or a mixture) - I used 2%
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- low-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, chile powder, jalapeños, cumin, and salt, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beans and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and allow to simmer 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in salsa. Mash the bean mixture lightly with a slotted spoon or fork to desired consistency.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with desired toppings and roll the burrito tightly. Slice each burrito in half and serve immediately.
If you've been following my blog, you'll know by now I LOVE Mexican food!!